Maths @ Monteney
At Monteney Primary, we endeavour to teach our children a rich and progressive curriculum. We believe that mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child's ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. In our school we want to help children to understand and appreciate the pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives in and out of school. We encourage the children to develop these key and fundamental skills through their growing knowledge and understanding of the world.
Summary of our approach:
- All children can learn to do maths.
- The vast majority of children will access the curriculum for their year group. Higher attaining children are challenged through going deeper challenges. Interventions are used to support children working below their year group curriculum.
- We follow the objectives set out in the White Rose Schemes of learning; we also use to Power Maths resources to support teacher subject knowledge and help ensure learning is pitched appropriately.
- Fluency, Reasoning and problem solving are embedded within each of our units across all year groups.
- Children are supported in their understanding through the use of concrete, pictorial and abstract approaches